Friday 8 February 2013

Birthday Cards for Clean and Simple Card Class

Hello everyone,

Its Friday and I hope you all have a great weekend. I spent yesterday at a craft show and attended a couple of workshops that had me trying things that are outside my comfort zone. I actually went to a sewing workshop! Yes I did! My sewing machine now looks a little less scary and maybe I will at last try using it for something other than an occasional quick row of stitching on my cards.

I'm still playing catch up with the Clean and Simple Card class, and I have to admit to finding it very hard to fit in when the class is every day for a couple of weeks. Lessons twice a week would probably be ideal for me and then the class would go on over several weeks which would extend the fun.

The first card was for Day 3 which was using background stamps and inking techniques. I chose to use a
Tim Holtz stamp that just has three rows of curvy stitching on it to make up my background panel. I used a technique that Jennifer showed of using three inks to get 5 different tones of colour, but I don't think this stamp showed the results very well and a more solid stamp would probably give a better finish. I added a light brushing of white ink around the edges to give a softer look.




I also used 4 different dies on the card to cover the homework for the Bonus Day 1 which was to use die cutting. Sneaky or multitasking? I think this card could cover a lot occasions such as Valentine, Anniversary or close friend or family birthday, so I shall add the appropriate message on the inside before sending it.

The next card is also for the Bonus Day homework, and to join in the anniversary celebrations over at Papertrey Ink. For this I used the Zipper Die from PTI to make an interactive card. The colours were inspired by the pretty pink tone on tone invitations that Danielle Flanders used.

I cut the die shape from Melon Berry card and cut the edge of the zipper part to make it easier to lift the zip once it is on the card. Then a piece of Sweet Blush card was masked off for the part that will show the sentiment when the zipper is pulled back. I stamped the background with a crackle stamp to get a tone on tone look and then stamped the words in brown ink.


I added a branch and the little bitty bird, and then swiped all the edges with some white ink to soften everything. I added a few little doodads on the zipper panel too when I probably should have 'stepped away from the table'. As a result there seems to be so much going on in this card that I'm not sure it can count as Clean and Simple, but I did enjoy making it.

9 comments:

Stacy said...

Oh my, the zipper card is so creative! I so want to try that out on one of my future cards! How cool!

Stamps and Paper said...

Lovely cards Carol, love the curvy stitching on your first card and love the zipper panel on your second card with the sweet little bird

Anne

John said...

I think the zipper card is a great idea. Makes you want to know what the little birdy told you. Very creative.

Marybeth said...

The sewing class sounds like fun Carol. Love your stamped stitches on this fun card. I know myself and I would never find the time to do all the classed…. and I don't want any demerits….lol Gorgeous zipper card too! Hope you have a fun weekend … hugs.

LauraVi said...

I like all your cards, the way you colour and the layout are fantastic! Now I am your follower ^_^
Thanks for stopping by

Joyce said...

Both cards are really terrific. I am impressed that you have stuck with it. I can see the ink gradations in your very cool stitchery card. I admit to playing hookie the last two days, as I have gotten too caught up in the PTI festivities--still trying to win a prize.

Darnell said...

Fantastic job on your cards, Carol! These are all quite involved CAS cards which you've executed wonderfully! I've never done one of those zipper cards - just looks too hard. And your stretching the inks card is one of my faves with that technique!!

(BTW, I don't work, really. I do one long-term project for a few weeks every fall (seminar workshop materials) and the rest of the year I'm on-call. And, besides, to be fair, my CAS cards have an M. Fasis on the "simple!" I just had to set you straight so you weren't incorrectly amazed, much as I liked the sound of it!!)

Mona Pendleton said...

Such pretty cards! Love the sweet little bird!

StephH said...

Awesome cards Carol! The Little Birdie card is very inspirational as I have been using my zipper dies this weekend. Thanks for the tip!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...